I dreamed up these molasses cookies while sipping coffee and watching snow fall. The aroma while the cookies bake reaches all corners of the house. —Faith Ford, Big Lake, Minnesota
Featured In: The Best Cookies for Dunking
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, spices and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into rounded tablespoonfuls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to set. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, cream and coffee granules until blended; drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set.
- Freeze option: Freeze shaped balls of dough on baking sheets until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, roll balls in remaining sugar. Bake and decorate cookies as directed, increasing time by 1-2 minutes. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Coffee-Glazed Molasses Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2015, p47
Reviews forCoffee-Glazed Molasses Cookies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2016
"These sound like an unusual combination, but they are DELICIOUS! My family raved about this recipe and asks me to make them every Christmas!"