- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup whole milk
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, milk, coffee, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat until fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Add milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCoffee-Chocolate Cake
"I just discovered this recipe a few days ago and decided to gv it a try. Since i dont have 2 pcs of a 9 inch round pan, so i poured all in just 1pc of 9 inch round pan. It took almost 1 hr to bake and the result was a cracked cake in the middle, slightly hardened on its top. The cake how ever was fluffy and very moist. Everyone loves it. So, i was wondering if it was becoz i poured all the batter into just 1 baking dish or could i hv done anythg else that was wrong to have my cake cracked like tht. I had the oven at the right temp. I only reduced the baking soda to 1 tsp as i felt 2 tsp was too much. Can anyone help me? I am thinking of using perhaps a 10 inch round baking dish the next time i bake this wonderful cake.pls help me...anyone..?"
"While I have not used this frosting, the cake recipe is the same as another moist chocolate cake recipe on this site. It is the best recipe and I have never ever had any dryness. I saw this in the magazine in 1993 and have impressed people with it many times. I love the fact that it is from scratch. Great if I don't have a box mix handy!"
"suprisingly wonderful! If you like a light and not overly sweet cake, this is it! I had my doubts on the frosting, but it turned out perfect!"
"Finally! A recipe thats better than a box mix. Wonderfully chocolatey and moist. I made it with a peanut butter mousse filling."
"Just fantasic!!! very moist and easy to make."
"One of the best cakes I have made.Very moist and delicious! To change it up a little,I added cocoa to the icing."
"soooo good!!!!!!! I also halved the frosting recipe and it was even almost too much! Big hit!"