- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, milk, coffee, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add enough milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCoffee-Chocolate Cake
"I just discovered this recipe a few days ago and decided to gv it a try. Since i dont have 2 pcs of a 9 inch round pan, so i poured all in just 1pc of 9 inch round pan. It took almost 1 hr to bake and the result was a cracked cake in the middle, slightly hardened on its top. The cake how ever was fluffy and very moist. Everyone loves it. So, i was wondering if it was becoz i poured all the batter into just 1 baking dish or could i hv done anythg else that was wrong to have my cake cracked like tht. I had the oven at the right temp. I only reduced the baking soda to 1 tsp as i felt 2 tsp was too much. Can anyone help me? I am thinking of using perhaps a 10 inch round baking dish the next time i bake this wonderful cake.pls help me...anyone..?"
"While I have not used this frosting, the cake recipe is the same as another moist chocolate cake recipe on this site. It is the best recipe and I have never ever had any dryness. I saw this in the magazine in 1993 and have impressed people with it many times. I love the fact that it is from scratch. Great if I don't have a box mix handy!"
"suprisingly wonderful! If you like a light and not overly sweet cake, this is it! I had my doubts on the frosting, but it turned out perfect!"
"Finally! A recipe thats better than a box mix. Wonderfully chocolatey and moist. I made it with a peanut butter mousse filling."
"Just fantasic!!! very moist and easy to make."
"One of the best cakes I have made.Very moist and delicious! To change it up a little,I added cocoa to the icing."
"soooo good!!!!!!! I also halved the frosting recipe and it was even almost too much! Big hit!"