Coffee Cake with Raspberry Filling
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace, optional
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add mace if desired. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg, milk and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Spoon into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Add raspberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over batter; cut through with a knife to swirl.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter; top with nuts. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 519 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 502mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 29, 2016
This cake is moist and turned out good. I used 1/3 cup of mixed berry jelly instead of making the filling, still adding the lemon juice. The nuts were left out, as was the mace since I don't buy it. I also baked mine in a bundt cake pan.
Dec 3, 2014
Doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9 x 13 pan for 40 minutes. I didn't use the mace either. Delicious and beautiful to serve!
Jan 30, 2014
This recipe is delicious! I've never heard of mace, so I didn't add it. I used a 9" round cake pan which worked beautifully for this recipe. Oh, and I used frozen raspberries instead of fresh.
Nov 4, 2011
Love it. I skipped the mace because i didn't have it on hand and it turned out great. Also left out the nuts since hubby doesn't care for them. This is a keeper
Oct 10, 2008
Quite yummy, made them yesterday!