Coffee Cake with Raspberry Filling
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace, optional
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add mace if desired. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg, milk and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Spoon into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Add raspberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over batter; cut through with a knife to swirl.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter; top with nuts. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 519 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 502mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
May 29, 2016
This cake is moist and turned out good. I used 1/3 cup of mixed berry jelly instead of making the filling, still adding the lemon juice. The nuts were left out, as was the mace since I don't buy it. I also baked mine in a bundt cake pan.
Dec 3, 2014
Doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9 x 13 pan for 40 minutes. I didn't use the mace either. Delicious and beautiful to serve!
Jan 30, 2014
This recipe is delicious! I've never heard of mace, so I didn't add it. I used a 9" round cake pan which worked beautifully for this recipe. Oh, and I used frozen raspberries instead of fresh.
Nov 4, 2011
Love it. I skipped the mace because i didn't have it on hand and it turned out great. Also left out the nuts since hubby doesn't care for them. This is a keeper
Oct 10, 2008
Quite yummy, made them yesterday!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.