Coffee Cake Sour Cream
Warm, buttery coffee cake: you just can't beat a good one. With a lovely, tender interior and a slightly crunchy crust, this has a wonderful texture not unlike poundcake. But it's the lemon and almond flavors plus the full cup of walnuts that really take this cake over the top on taste.—Janice Kuhlmann, Stafford Springs, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon peel and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 390 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Sour Cream Coffee Cake in Light & Tasty February/March 2007