Our local home-school group has an annual Christmas craft breakfast. Forty children signed up to come to my table and make this mix. It was so rewarding to see their excitement as they created a special gift to give. —Tamera Serafin, New Windsor, MD
Recommended: 25 Starbucks Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Transfer to a 1-qt. resealable plastic bag. In a snack-size plastic bag, combine brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon. Store bags in a cool, dry place or in freezer up to 3 months.
- To prepare muffins: Preheat oven to 350°. Place flour mixture in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar mixture with melted butter.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Coffee Cake Muffin Mix in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p185