In Nacogdoches, Texas, Hasel King mashes sweet potatoes with pineapples, orange juice and seasonings. With a streusel-like topping of coconut and pecans, its sweet taste and pretty look will garner praise. TIP: To switch it up, follow Hasel's lead and substitute peanuts for the pecans.
Recommended: 43 Amazing Ways to Love Sweet Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly.
- Peel the potatoes and place in a large bowl; mash. Add the pineapple, butter, orange juice, egg, salt, mace and ginger; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine the coconut, pecans and brown sugar; sprinkle over the top. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until topping is lightly browned. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Sweet Potatoes in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p45
Reviews forCoconut Sweet Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 27, 2014
"This was ok. Nothing to really brag about. Flavor was good but nothing out of the sweet potato ordinary. Likely wont bother making this again."