Coconut Sweet Potatoes
In Nacogdoches, Texas, Hasel King mashes sweet potatoes with pineapples, orange juice and seasonings. With a streusel-like topping of coconut and pecans, its sweet taste and pretty look will garner praise. TIP: To switch it up, follow Hasel's lead and substitute peanuts for the pecans.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly.
- Peel the potatoes and place in a large bowl; mash. Add the pineapple, butter, orange juice, egg, salt, mace and ginger; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine the coconut, pecans and brown sugar; sprinkle over the top. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until topping is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 163 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 341mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Crusty Sweet Potato Casserole in Quick Cooking September/October 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.