Coconut Shrimp & Veggie Wraps
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small fresh beet, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash ground allspice
- 8 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/3 cup pineapple preserves
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 4 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 4 slices fresh goat cheese
- In a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan, place the carrots, onion, yellow pepper and beet; drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, ginger and allspice; toss to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, make a slit down the outer curve of each shrimp, starting with the tail; press lightly to flatten. In three separate shallow bowls, place the flour, egg whites and coconut. Coat the shrimp with flour, dip into egg whites, then coat with coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a microwave, heat the preserves, vinegar, butter and cayenne until preserves and butter are melted. Stir until smooth; drizzle over vegetable mixture and toss to coat.
- Place 1/2 cup vegetable mixture on each lettuce leaf; top with shrimp and goat cheese. Fold lettuce over filling.