Coconut Shrimp & Veggie Wraps
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small fresh beet, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash ground allspice
- 8 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/3 cup pineapple preserves
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 4 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 4 slices fresh goat cheese
- In a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan, place the carrots, onion, yellow pepper and beet; drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, ginger and allspice; toss to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, make a slit down the outer curve of each shrimp, starting with the tail; press lightly to flatten. In three separate shallow bowls, place the flour, egg whites and coconut. Coat the shrimp with flour, dip into egg whites, then coat with coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a microwave, heat the preserves, vinegar, butter and cayenne until preserves and butter are melted. Stir until smooth; drizzle over vegetable mixture and toss to coat.
- Place 1/2 cup vegetable mixture on each lettuce leaf; top with shrimp and goat cheese. Fold lettuce over filling.
Nutrition Facts2 wraps: 805 calories, 45g fat (21g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 1075mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 7g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Paradise Coconut Shrimp 'n' Veggie Wraps in Fresh Home Winter 2011