Jumbo shrimp is big on flavor when field editor Marie Hattrup from the Dalles, Oregon gives it a tropical twist. Coconut offers subtle sweetness, and the fruity salsa is delightful as a dip.
Recommended: Top 10 Shrimp Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 18 uncooked jumbo shrimp (about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- APRICOT-PINEAPPLE SALSA:
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Make a slit down inner curve of each shrimp, starting with the tail; press lightly to flatten. In a shallow dish, combine the cornstarch, salt and cayenne; set aside. In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Place the coconut in another shallow dish. Coat shrimp with cornstarch mixture; dip into egg whites, then coat with coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine salsa ingredients. Serve with shrimp. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Shrimp in Taste of Home December/January 2004, p61
Reviews forCoconut Shrimp
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 7, 2015
"I baked mine. Very good... the salsa was different. I enjoyed it and will try to think of other meals I can have it with."
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2014
"I followed the recipe to the T and it turned out great!!"