Coconut Rhubarb Dessert
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 1 package butter pecan cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, sugar, water and, if desired, food coloring. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender; cool slightly. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cake mix. Top with coconut and pecans. Drizzle with butter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 416 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 356mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
May 26, 2013
May 13, 2013
Loved this recipe and it will be going into the "to keep and make again" folder.
Jun 12, 2012
Forgot, I could not find the butter pecan cake mix so I used butter cake mix.
Jun 12, 2012
This is a great dessert. I tossed rhubarb with the sugar, put in greased pan, sprinkled dry cake mix over the top, melted butter with the water, poured over dry mix, and added pecand and coconut over top. Easy and perfect, no dry spots. I have used this recipe with other fruit too. Next time I make it with rhubarb I will add another cup making 5 cups and add 1/4 more sugar. My husband says ,"Great, more rhubarb next time!"
Jun 7, 2012
Very nice but a little sweet. I'll use less sugar next time
Jan 14, 2012
I have made this amazingly delicious dessert more than 10 times. Several family members swear that they "hate rhubarb" but they love this dessert!
Sep 30, 2011
This dessert is so... easy and so... good.
Sep 8, 2011
Not sure what the consistency of this should be, but I think I did it really wrong. I thought I could skip the boil part because my rhubarb was frozen then thawed so it was already soft. Not a good idea. There was way too much moisture in it, I'm guessing because I didn't boil any out in the other step. FYI.
May 29, 2011
I tried this dessert with fresh rhubarb from my garden and it was delicious. Will definitely make again...
May 23, 2011
This was excellent! I agree with Mary, nice to have a rhubrb recipe that's a little different. LOVED it. Thanks Connie.