VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1 inch)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges and hot cooked rice, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in curry paste and sugar.
- Stir in vegetables, chickpeas, 3 cups broth, tomatoes and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Stir in remaining broth; heat through. Serve with cilantro and, if desired, lime wedges and rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Red Curry Stew in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017