For a change of pace from the coconut, you can easily modify this recipe to make a delicious vanilla custard pudding.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + chilling
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar and salt just until eggs are blended. In a small saucepan, heat milk just to simmering. Gradually whisk into egg mixture. Stir in extracts.
- Transfer to five 4-oz. ramekins. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Place ramekins in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle).
- Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Vanilla Custard Pudding: Omit coconut extract. Increase vanilla extract to 3/4 teaspoon. If desired use 1/3 brown sugar in place of the sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 165 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Custard Pudding in The Taste of Home Cookbook 1st edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.