Coconut-Pecan Shortbread Cookies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + standing
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in coconut and pecans. Divide dough into two portions. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 1-in. round cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for filling, bring sugar and water to a boil in a large heavy saucepan. Add corn syrup; cook until syrup turns golden, about 5 minutes (do not stir). Gradually stir in cream and butter.
- Spread filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies, a scant 1/2 teaspoon on each; cover with remaining cookies. Let stand until set, about 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 99 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jan 24, 2014
I could not get the dough to stick together in order to be able to roll it out. Therefore, I proceeded to try to put it into a cookie dough scoop. They were crumbly. They tasted good, though.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.