- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons coconut extract, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, 2 cups sugar, oil and 2 teaspoons extract; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk just until moistened. stir in coconut and pecans. Spoon into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the water, butter and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; add remaining extract. Slowly pour hot syrup over hot cake. Cool in pan for 4 hours before removing to a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forCoconut Pecan Cake
"This tastes like a pound cake, with the addition of coconut. It is very good."