I found this gem on a slip of paper in a cookbook I got at a yard sale. The candies get great flavor from browned butter. I've received many requests for this recipe over the years.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside. In a large saucepan, cook butter over medium-low heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the coconut, sugar and cream.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate until easy to handle, about 25 minutes.
- Roll mixture into balls, then shape each into a cone. Return to baking sheet; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip bottoms of cones into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Return to waxed paper to harden. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 205 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Coconut Peaks in Country Woman Christmas 2001