I found this gem on a slip of paper in a cookbook I got at a yard sale. The candies get great flavor from browned butter. I've received many requests for this recipe over the years.
Recommended: Key Lime Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside. In a saucepan, cook butter over medium-low heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the coconut, sugar and cream. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate until easy to handle, about 25 minutes.
- Roll mixture into balls, then shape each into a cone. Return to baking sheet; refrigerate for 15 minutes. In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening. Dip bottoms of cones into chocolate. Return to waxed paper to harden. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut Peaks in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p39