Coconut Oatmeal Crispies
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, coconut, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into two 6-in. rolls; wrap each roll in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 220 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Mar 24, 2016
I was looking for a chewy, delicious recipe and this is the one! Since the coconut is already sweetened I cut the regular sugar to 3/4 c. and then added toasted pecans which I toasted by chopping & putting in the oven for 8 min. during the oven preheat. Be sure to set your timer as they can burn easily. I also substituted 1/2 c. butter & 1/2 c. safflower oil (or other good quality oil) for the shortening, which I no longer buy. Great recipe & I definitely will make these again!
Jun 28, 2009
DELICIOUS! I used half regular shortening and half real butter. A fabulous cookie!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.