Coconut Oatmeal Crispies
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, coconut, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into two 6-in. rolls; wrap each roll in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 220 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 24, 2016
I was looking for a chewy, delicious recipe and this is the one! Since the coconut is already sweetened I cut the regular sugar to 3/4 c. and then added toasted pecans which I toasted by chopping & putting in the oven for 8 min. during the oven preheat. Be sure to set your timer as they can burn easily. I also substituted 1/2 c. butter & 1/2 c. safflower oil (or other good quality oil) for the shortening, which I no longer buy. Great recipe & I definitely will make these again!
Jun 28, 2009
DELICIOUS! I used half regular shortening and half real butter. A fabulous cookie!