Coconut Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes and coconut milk are a match made in flavor heaven. The flecks of lemongrass are a nice surprise. —Rachel Dueker, Gervais, OR
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 5 large sweet potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1-1/4 cups light coconut milk
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried lemon grass
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash with coconut milk, broth, juice and butter. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 152 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Originally published as coconut sweet mashers in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016