Coconut pie lovers will be in heaven with this delectable pie covered with a rich and silky chocolate ganache. I reminiscent of good old-fashioned candy.—Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
Recommended: 25 Recipes for Valentine Cupcakes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 eggs, separated
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; flute edges. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the cream, butter, lemon juice, salt and extract. Fold in coconut.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form; beat on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into coconut mixture. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 375° for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary). Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream and corn syrup just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Drizzle over pie. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Macaroon Pie with Chocolate Ganache in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p78