Since the meat loaves cook so quickly, your microwave will be free to fix sweet Coconut Macadamia Bars shared by Annette Lamle of Columbia City, Indiana. "We found this recipe when working on our son Cody's 4-H microwave cooking project," she notes. "We made different versions of this treat 'til Cody decided which one he and his dad liked best. He ended up receiving Reserve Grand Champion for his efforts."
Recommended: 50 Coconut Recipes to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Place the butter in an 8-in. square microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high until melted, about 1 minute. Stir in cracker crumbs and sugar; press firmly onto the bottom of the dish. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup coconut, milk and nuts; spoon over the crust. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 minute. Rotate dish a half turn; cook 1 minute longer or until heated through.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine chips and shortening. Microwave, uncovered, at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Heat 40 seconds longer or until melted, stirring once. Quickly pour over coconut mixture; spread evenly. Toast remaining coconut if desired; sprinkle over the top. Cool on a wire rack; cut into bars. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Macadamia Bars in Quick Cooking January/February 2003, p20