VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, salt and milk; cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture begins to boil. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut. Remove from the heat; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Strain, discarding coconut. Place milk mixture in a large bowl; add cream, vanilla and remaining coconut. Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. freezer container. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving. Garnish with toasted coconut if desired. Yield: 2 quarts.
Originally published as Coconut Ice Cream in Country Extra July 2000, p51