Coconut-Glazed Orange Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3-3/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, 1 cup milk and orange zest; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Roll into a 14x8-in. rectangle. Using a floured pizza cutter, cut widthwise into 2-in. strips, then cut diagonally into 2-in. strips, forming diamond shapes. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, coconut extract and enough remaining milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over scones. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
As a substitute for self-rising flour, place 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 3/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 165 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 16, 2011
The scones turned out nice and buttery tasting overall, but I couldn't taste the orange flavor that much. I may tinker with the flavoring. When the recipe was in Light and Tasty magazine, there were 4 recipe variations, maybe I'll like one of those better.
Apr 28, 2009
My husband and daughter loved the coconut-glazed orange scones. I will definitely make again. My daughter and my mother and I went to the taste of home cooking show and loved it. I highly recommend attending one of their cooking shows if one is ever in your area.