Coconut-Glazed Orange Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3-3/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, 1 cup milk and orange zest; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Roll into a 14x8-in. rectangle. Using a floured pizza cutter, cut widthwise into 2-in. strips, then cut diagonally into 2-in. strips, forming diamond shapes. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, coconut extract and enough remaining milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over scones. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
As a substitute for self-rising flour, place 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 3/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 165 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 16, 2011
The scones turned out nice and buttery tasting overall, but I couldn't taste the orange flavor that much. I may tinker with the flavoring. When the recipe was in Light and Tasty magazine, there were 4 recipe variations, maybe I'll like one of those better.
Apr 28, 2009
My husband and daughter loved the coconut-glazed orange scones. I will definitely make again. My daughter and my mother and I went to the taste of home cooking show and loved it. I highly recommend attending one of their cooking shows if one is ever in your area.