Coconut Gingerbread Cake
This unusual dessert came from a little book I bought at a flea market many years ago. The broiled orange-coconut topping really dressed up a boxed gingerbread mix. When I bring it to potlucks and family get-togethers, it never lasts long! -Paula Hartlett, Mineola, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake/cookie mix
- 1 large navel orange
- 1-1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Grate 1 tablespoon of peel from the orange; set aside. Peel and section orange, removing white pith; dice the orange.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut, brown sugar, orange juice, diced orange and reserved peel; spread over warm cake. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 323 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 341mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Gingerbread Cake in Quick Cooking May/June 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.