- 1 egg white
- Dash salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Toasted unsweetened coconut flakes and chocolate curls
- For filling, place egg white and salt in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Combine coconut and flour; set aside. Beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating on high until glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in coconut mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and water. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Drop filling by teaspoonfuls into center of each cupcake. Cover with 2 tablespoons batter.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in shortening and chocolate chips until melted. Beat until thickened. Spread over cupcakes and garnish with toasted coconut and chocolate curls. Yield: 26 cupcakes.
Reviews forCoconut-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
"I always follow recipes to a t. The cake was not sweet enough and it was a bit dry. The coconut was fine but it does not drop as far as I would like and concentrates toward the top and just doesn't provide enough moisture for every bite. But everyone didn't "hate" it, they just enjoyed other cupcakes I've made more."