Coconut Custard Pudding
"Here's an easy dessert that my whole family loves," says Wilma Lincoln from Grinnell, Iowa. "I use an artificial sweetener when I make it for diabetic dinner guests and pretty it up with a sprinkle of nutmeg."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 6 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar and salt until blended. In a large saucepan, heat milk to simmering. Gradually whisk into egg mixture. Stir in extracts. Pour into ten 8-oz. custard cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Place cups in two 13x9-in. baking pans. Add 1 in. of hot water to the pans. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cups to a wire rack; cool for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 165 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Custard Pudding in Country Woman September/October 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.