- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 refrigerated pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place coconut in an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 4 minutes, stirring several times; set aside. (Coconut will not be fully toasted.)
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4-6 minutes longer. Cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and salt for 5 minutes. (Mixture will be lemon-colored and slightly thickened.) Add the milk, sugar substitute, coconut extract and vanilla. Transfer to crust. (Crust will be full.)
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and coconut is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCoconut Custard Pie
"I used the 1/2 cup sugar rather than the sugar substitute equivalent. I also got 2 pies as the filling filled 2 pie shells! This recipe is really great! Thank you for sharing! I also had used 2% milk the first time around and fat-free milk when I made this recipe the 2nd time around! I'd doubled the amount of coconut since the filling filled the 2 pie shells!"
"Made this precisely by the recipe, and it tasted salty. Is 1/2 teaspoon absolutely necessary for beating with the eggs?"
"I cook for a senior citizens group and I use a lot of low fat and reduced sugar recipes and this one is excellent."