- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in coconut.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and extracts until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with toasted coconut. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forCoconut Cupcakes
"Delicious cupcakes and the recipe was easy for my 12 year old gand-daughter to make. I used coconut cream instead of the buttermilk. The cupcakes were moist and fluffy. The whole family loved them!!"
"This recipe is wonderful. I made it for a party and everyone went on and on about how great they tasted and have requested them since. I agree with another comment and added the 2 oz of vegetable oil and they were nice and moist. Thanks for such a great recipe!!!"
"I love this recipe. I have taken it and added a few things and taken away others. It makes the best cupcakes. I read the reviews and added 2 oz of vegetable oil for the moist factor some said they were having. I have also changed the flavor several times and I am never disappointed with the results. Great recipe it is my go to recipe for cupcakes right now!!"
"My daughter made these for our county fair, without the frosting, and took home a purple ribbon. Very good cupcake."
"This was delicious! It made a ton of batter! I got 3 dozen from it. The texture of the coconut in the batter was very good! Both of my kiddos loved it!"
"These are the best cupcakes ever i doubled the batch for my daughters birthday but my husband eat so many i needed to make more before the party lol"
"these are great they taste so go , i didnt put in almond extract I don't like the taste of it so i put in all vanalla there the best the cream cheese icing is to die for yum yum"
"These are delicious!! However, I put a lot more coconut on top of the cupcakes than the picture shows. I put as much as they can handle! I also cut some of the cupcakes in half and put the icing in the center with some added coconut. That was good too! You could maybe add a little bit more butter to the recipe though. They were great slightly refrigerated on the day that I made them and the next morning. After that, the cake part was too dry. These have a fabulous flavour though! I put 1.5 tsp of vanilla and 1.5 tsp of almond extract in the batter part. My almond extract is a few years old though (it may have lost some flavour)."
"These looked so yummy but came out so dry! Too much almond extract too, can't even taste the coconut. Sorry, I would not make these again."
"This is a winner. Evaporated once my grandkids found them. I only heard the words more, more, more...Thanks"