Coconut Crunch Croissant Bread Pudding
I'm a fan of coconut and bread pudding, so I thought, 'Why not combine them?" I was thrilled with the outcome. The recipe is especially good for holidays and gatherings because it travels well and is just delicious at room temperature. —Devon Delaney, Westport, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 12 miniature croissants, split
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups cream of coconut
- 1-1/3 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with softened butter. Arrange croissant bottoms in the dish; sprinkle with half of the apricots and coconut. Layer with croissant tops and remaining apricots and coconut.
- In a large saucepan, combine cream of coconut and milk. Cook over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot milk mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Slowly ladle egg mixture over coconut. Let stand for 10-15 minutes or until croissants are softened.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with nuts. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a knife comes out clean. Serve warm.
Originally published as Coconut Crunch Croissant Bread Pudding in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012