- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
- 6 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- In a small bowl, cream the sugar, shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and yolk. Add vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into two 6-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup, egg white and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 5 minutes. Pour into a small bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk, extract and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Finely chop 1/4 cup coconut; fold into pudding mix.
- Split each cake into two horizontal layers. Spread a third of the pudding over one cake layer; repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake. Frost top and sides. Toast remaining coconut; sprinkle over top. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCoconut Cream Dream Cake
"This cake is delicious. My family loves it and it makes such a pretty presentation."
"This is absolutely the best. My family loves coconut and this is one of their favorites."
"Very tasty and elegant to serve.Ilike this cake very much. suja abraham"
"Didn't make my favorite list. sc"