Coconut Cranberry Oat Bars
These festive, chock-full bars are sweet, tart and salty — a truly tongue-tingling combo. It’s a good thing the recipe makes a lot!
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, water and lemon zest. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Combine the flour, oats, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside 1 cup for topping; press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread cranberry mixture over crust. Combine the coconut, pecans and reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over filling. Bake 18-20 minutes longer or until filling is set.
- Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 168 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Cococnut Bars in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.