Coconut Cranberry Oat Bars
These festive, chock-full bars are sweet, tart and salty — a truly tongue-tingling combo. It’s a good thing the recipe makes a lot!
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, water and lemon zest. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Combine the flour, oats, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside 1 cup for topping; press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread cranberry mixture over crust. Combine the coconut, pecans and reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over filling. Bake 18-20 minutes longer or until filling is set.
- Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 168 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Cococnut Bars in Country Woman Christmas 2012