VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, water and lemon peel. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Combine the flour, oats, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside 1 cup for topping; press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread cranberry mixture over crust. Combine the coconut, pecans and reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over filling. Bake 18-20 minutes longer or until filling is set.
- Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Coconut Bars in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p62