"This impressive treat is my favorite company dessert, it's perfect for a holiday gathering!" writes Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas. "The recipe is easy to prepare in advance and makes such a beautiful presentation. I always receive raves when I serve it and predict that you will, too."
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (9 ounces) white or yellow cake mix
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- Prepare cake mix and bake in an 8- or 9-in. round baking pan according to package directions. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine gelatin and 1/4 cup sugar. Bring cranberry juice to a boil; stir into gelatin mixture until dissolved. Stir in cranberry sauce. Refrigerate until partially set.
- Use cooking spray to grease a 2-qt. bowl with an 8- or 9-in.-diameter top. In a small mixing bowl, beat 1 cup of cream until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream and pecans into gelatin mixture. Pour into prepared bowl. Refrigerate until set.
- Place cake over gelatin mixture; trim if necessary. Invert dessert onto a serving plate. In a mixing bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over gelatin mixture and cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Cranberry Alaska in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p68