"Guaranteed to make you think of warm spring breezes, these crispy coconut cookies couldn't be easier to whip up." notes Aley Thorne from Los Molinos, California. "We've enjoyed them for years and now, our grandchildren ask for them in their college care packages," she says.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in cereal and coconut.
- Roll into 24 balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 212 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Cookies in Country Woman March/April 2004