Coconut Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 1-1/2 cups evaporated milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1 package (14 ounces) flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. Mix cake according to package directions, using a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine 1 cup milk and 1 cup sugar; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. add marshmallows and stir until melted. Add coconut and mix well. Spread over cake immediately after baking. Cool for 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, combine butter and remaining milk and sugar; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate chips until melted. Spread over coconut layer; sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 slice: 454 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Coconut Chocolate Cake
"OMG! This is so delicious. Very rich also. I used a combo of sweetened and unsweetened coconut which I think worked well. This cake was a huge hit!"
"This cake is delicious - however! Be prepared, when pouring the marshmallow mixture over the cake, that it will overflow over the pan! Thankfully, I had put some wax paper down first. It set up quickly enough but had to spoon what spilled over back onto the cake (& I used the size pan as stated). Although it was messy and it didn't look good in any way, it was still a great tasting cake!"
"Even when I goofed and used regular milk with the marshmallows instead of the evaporated milk, I STILL had people asking me for the recipe. I don't recommend using regular milk, by the way."
"I have made this cake twice for church fellowship and people RAVE about it!"