Coconut Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups evaporated milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Mix cake according to package directions, using a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine 1 cup milk and 1 cup sugar; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Stir in the coconut. Spread over cake immediately after baking. Cool for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and remaining milk; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate chips until melted. Spread over coconut layer; sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 454 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 17, 2014
OMG! This is so delicious. Very rich also. I used a combo of sweetened and unsweetened coconut which I think worked well. This cake was a huge hit!
Apr 8, 2011
This cake is delicious - however! Be prepared, when pouring the marshmallow mixture over the cake, that it will overflow over the pan! Thankfully, I had put some wax paper down first. It set up quickly enough but had to spoon what spilled over back onto the cake (& I used the size pan as stated). Although it was messy and it didn't look good in any way, it was still a great tasting cake!
Mar 16, 2009
Even when I goofed and used regular milk with the marshmallows instead of the evaporated milk, I STILL had people asking me for the recipe. I don't recommend using regular milk, by the way.
Jun 16, 2008
I have made this cake twice for church fellowship and people RAVE about it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.