Coconut Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups evaporated milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Mix cake according to package directions, using a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine 1 cup milk and 1 cup sugar; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Stir in the coconut. Spread over cake immediately after baking. Cool for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and remaining milk; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate chips until melted. Spread over coconut layer; sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 454 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 17, 2014
OMG! This is so delicious. Very rich also. I used a combo of sweetened and unsweetened coconut which I think worked well. This cake was a huge hit!
Apr 8, 2011
This cake is delicious - however! Be prepared, when pouring the marshmallow mixture over the cake, that it will overflow over the pan! Thankfully, I had put some wax paper down first. It set up quickly enough but had to spoon what spilled over back onto the cake (& I used the size pan as stated). Although it was messy and it didn't look good in any way, it was still a great tasting cake!
Mar 16, 2009
Even when I goofed and used regular milk with the marshmallows instead of the evaporated milk, I STILL had people asking me for the recipe. I don't recommend using regular milk, by the way.
Jun 16, 2008
I have made this cake twice for church fellowship and people RAVE about it!