VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, quartered
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Press into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until set.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the egg, sugar, flour, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Stir in the almonds, coconut and cherries. Spread over crust.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Cut into squares while still warm. Yield: 8 bars.
Originally published as Cherry Coconut Bars in Cooking for 2 Winter 2006, p47