Coconut Cherry Sandies
Guests won't be able to stop at just one of these tender almond shortbread cookies studded with cherries, coconut and pistachio nuts. —Carole Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + standing
Makesabout 7 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1-1/3 cups chopped pistachios
- 1-1/3 cups chopped dried cherries
- 1-1/3 cups white baking chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 cup oil, eggs and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in coconut, pistachios and cherries.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt baking chips and remaining oil; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set.
Freeze option: Freeze undrizzled cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers. Drizzle cookies as directed.
Originally published as Santa’s Coconut Cherry Sandies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.