Coconut-Cherry Cream Squares
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold reduced-fat butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 can (20 ounces) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, coconut and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the flour, sugar, sugar substitute and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Gently stir in coconut and extract. Pour over crust. Refrigerate until set. Top with pie filling. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
This recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 142 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sep 26, 2014
Great custard filling! The crust was a bit chewy after being refrigerated only a few hours. I recommend refrigerating overnight because they tasted even better the next day.
Dec 6, 2011
I made this yesterday and thought the coconut cream middle was bland and rather tasteless.
Aug 3, 2011
I tried this because of my husband's dietary needs. It was easy to make and tastes very good. We will be making this regularly.
Jul 29, 2011
Really yummy. It was a hit at a ladies gathering last week. Thank you!Will definitely make this again. Very easy.
Jul 28, 2011
Made this for my company last week and everyone loved it.Would make it again as it is fast and easy.
Jul 25, 2011
Made this for the first time and my husband loved it. Great combination with the coconut and cherries. He loves coconut and wants me to make it again.
Jul 23, 2011
Sounds delicious! Taking to cards.
Jul 21, 2011
I made this recipe as is but toasted the coconut BEFORE adding it! My spouse LOVED it!
Feb 8, 2010
Two of my favorite flavors and ingredients: coconut and cherries! I was very pleased with the results, though I did use a real 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 1/4 cup plus sugar substitute equal to 1/4 cup. I would do the latter for those who need special diets. I did use the other reduced-fat and reduced-sugar ingredients and couldn't detect a difference.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.