Coconut Cherry Bars
I enjoy whipping up batches of these by the dozen. Then I fill the decorative tins I collect all year long with the luscious bars and give them as oven-fresh Christmas presents. Everyone loves them!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 jar (10 ounces) red or green maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. For filling, combine brown sugar, flour, baking powder, salt; mix in eggs and vanilla. Drain cherries, reserving juice. Chop cherries; fold into batter along with walnuts. Pour over crust. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. For frosting, beat butter and sugar in a bowl. Gradually stir in 3-4 tablespoons reserved cherry juice until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Frost bars; sprinkle with coconut.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 169 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Coconut Cherry Bars in Country Woman Christmas 1997