Coconut Carrot Cake Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Orange paste food coloring
- Parsley sprig
- 1. In a mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add oil and eggs; beat until well blended. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add the pineapple, carrots and coconut to batter (batter will be thick). Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 2. For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and enough of the reserved pineapple juice if needed to achieve desired spreading consistency. Tint 1/4 cup frosting orange; place in a small resealable plastic bag. Cut a small hole in a corner of the bag; set aside.
- 3. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the white frosting. Repeat layers twice. With orange frosting, pipe carrots on top; add parsley sprig for carrot top. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 slice: 664 calories, 33g fat (13g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 87g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Coconut Carrot Cake
"I made this at Christmas 2009 especially for family members who do not like fruitcake. It was a big hit, and now I'm looking forward to making it again for the upcoming holiday season. I don't remember making any changes to the recipe. I didn't decorate the top as pictured, but I may try it this year."