- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Orange paste food coloring
- Parsley sprig
- In a mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add oil and eggs; beat until well blended. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add the pineapple, carrots and coconut to batter (batter will be thick). Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and enough of the reserved pineapple juice if needed to achieve desired spreading consistency. Tint 1/4 cup frosting orange; place in a small resealable plastic bag. Cut a small hole in a corner of the bag; set aside.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the white frosting. Repeat layers twice. With orange frosting, pipe carrots on top; add parsley sprig for carrot top. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forCoconut Carrot Cake
"I made this at Christmas 2009 especially for family members who do not like fruitcake. It was a big hit, and now I'm looking forward to making it again for the upcoming holiday season. I don't remember making any changes to the recipe. I didn't decorate the top as pictured, but I may try it this year."