- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2/3 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and yolks; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat in extract.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30 -35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low speed over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 9 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle remaining coconut over the top.
1 slice: 608 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 95g carbohydrate (66g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.