- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Fresh mint leaves and red gumdrops, optional
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions in two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine sour cream and sugar. Stir in coconut (filling will be soft). Set aside 1 cup of filling for frosting.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining cake layer.
- Fold reserved filling into whipped topping; frost cake. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Garnish with mint and gumdrops if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forCoconut Cake Supreme
"Excellent Coconut cake! My family loved it."
"very easy to make and good tasting"
"I made this cake for a funeral shortly after receiving my Taste of Home magazine. I had rave reviews from others, though I hadn't tasted it. I have made it many times over the years. Usually I use white cake mix instead of yellow. I no longer have mint growing in my yard and miss that extra touch for the decoration. My daughter just asked for the recipe and I was happy it popped up when I searched online so that I don't have to copy it out for her."
"I made this along time ago for Easter and want to make it again this year! It is so scrumptious and easy so you don't have to spend a lot of time on it =0)"