- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 7 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups light cream
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large firm bananas, sliced
- Whipped cream and sliced bananas, optional
- In a skillet, saute coconut in butter until golden. Press all but 2 tablespoons into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add cream and bring to a boil. Cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add a small amount to egg yolks. Return all to pan; cook for 2 minutes. Remove form heat; add vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Place bananas in the crust. Cover with cream mixture. Chill until set, about 2 hours. Sprinkle with reserved coconut. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and bananas. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCoconut/Banana Cream Pie
"Wonderful recipe that I have made several times, always to great reviews. The only change that I make is to use 1/4 cup cornstarch, instead of flour, so that it can be gluten free."
"I modified it by adding two very ripe bananas (mashed) to the custard, and using blue agave (1/2 cup) instead of sugar.Everyone loved it and diabetics can eat it."