Coconut-Apricot Sweet Rolls
You’ll appreciate the fact that this recipe makes a big batch of yummy yeast rolls. I bake as directed, then put half in the freezer. When thawed and reheated, they taste just as good as the day they were made!—Candice Scholl, West Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons honey, divided
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the dry cake mix, whole wheat flour, oil, eggs, vanilla, salt and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, bring apricots and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until apricots are tender. Drain. In a bowl, combine the apricots, brown sugar, walnuts, coconut, flour and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Brush melted butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with apricot mixture. Drizzle each with 1 tablespoon honey. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Cut each into 15 rolls. Place cut side up in two greased 13x9-in. baking pans and one 9-in. square baking pan. Drizzle with remaining honey. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Combine the confectioners' sugar, milk, butter and vanilla; drizzle over rolls. Sprinkle with coconut. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 408 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.