Coconut Almond Bars
This was the first recipe I ever entered in a contest—and it was a winner! Ever since that contest, which was sponsored by our local newspaper, people around town tell me they still make these treats.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3-1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 50 whole almonds
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese; add sugar and vanilla. Stir in coconut. Turn out onto a 12x9-in. piece of buttered foil; pat into at 10x5-in. rectangle. Cut into 25 rectangles, 2x1 in. each. Press two almonds into the top of each rectangle. Chill.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave or double boiler. Carefully dip rectangles in melted chocolate one at a time; set on waxed paper to dry. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator(also freeze well).
Nutrition Facts1 each: 212 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Almond Bars in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.