Cocoa Surprise Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows, frozen
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls. Press two to three frozen marshmallows into each; reshape balls.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 114 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 5, 2016
These are beautiful and delicious. I did grease my cookie sheets as a precaution, but I did not have the sticking problem described by fnstlug. My marshmallows were not fresh; they worked perfectly and held their shape. These will go well as a contrast on a cookie tray!
Mar 5, 2016
Super chocolatey and amazing. My only problem was with the marshmallows melting and seriously sticking to the pan. Some of cookies didn't make it. Next time, I will make sure the marshmallows are stuck only to the top of the cookies and grease the pan for good measure. PS Made with 60% cocao chips--such a good choice.
Aug 31, 2010
love the texture!!! crunchy on the outside and ooey gooey on the inside! and to top it off its soo easy to make!
May 13, 2010
Cocoa surprise cookies are a family favourite in our home and one we make whenever we want a special dessert. They're definitely a keeper and going in my recipe box.