Cocoa Rice Pudding
This creamy pudding has been a family favorite for 40 years. It's delicious with a dollop of whipped cream on top, but my husband—a true dairy farmer—just pours on more milk!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or additional milk
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes. Stir together egg, sugars, cocoa and salt in a bowl; add a small amount of rice mixture to bowl and mix well.
- Return all to saucepan along with butter and vanilla. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cover and let cool in a saucepan for 1 hour. Serve with whipped cream or milk.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 212 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Cocoa Rice Pudding in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.