Cocoa Meringues with Berries
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- BERRY SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed
- Place egg white in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 275°. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Combine cocoa and remaining sugar; add to meringue with vanilla. Beat on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in chopped chocolate.
- Drop two mounds onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake until set and dry, 50-60 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in berries. Cool to room temperature. Spoon into meringues.
Nutrition Facts1 meringue with 1/2 cup sauce : 215 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 20, 2012
I'm hesitating to try these as the nutritional facts are awfully high in calories & carbs. This data can't be correct! Similar meringue recipes I've reviewed are no where near these amounts. Can they be retested?